Seminar Report Part 1 ...

Assalamualaikum and Hello Everyone.. How are you feeling today?
I hope everyone is doing great and in a good health. 
Recently I was attending a seminar for Majlis Dekan Universiti.. In that Seminar, Lecturers were presenting their research papers on their respective Research topics. 

I was only able to attend 3 sessions of the presentation and here is the review on the respective sessions.



Title : The Instructional Practices of Science Education in Malaysia
`
Research by : Associate Professor. Dr Salmiza Saleh- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)

Traditional Approach Vs Alternative Approach 

Traditional Approach is a teaching method that is more teacher-centered, have tendency to spoon-feeding the students as teacher is the center of the teaching and have little participation from the students. 
Meanwhile Alternative Approach is more student-centered teaching method, students are encourage to participate during the lesson and less teacher-centered. Teacher acts as facilitator and monitor rather than the center of teaching and learning. 

In her research paper, she addresses the between Traditional Approach Vs Alternative Approach in teaching science subjects. She also stated the research purpose was to find the current teachers practices in teaching science subject in Malaysia Secondary Schools. 

From the previous study done by other researchers, the finding stated that the teachers tend to leaning to the Traditional Approach in teaching science subjects in the classroom. Previous study also stated that the method of teaching was usually referring a textbook and very much of a teacher-centered classroom. 

Below are 3 questions that I will answer in this post:


What was/were the new term(s) you have heard from the presentation?

Basically the terms used in the presentation were all familiar to me as I usually encountered the used term in my lecture classes and books. Terms like traditional practices and alternative practices were used often during the paper presentations as the Research focuses on those two different approaches. 

What was / were the technology(ies)/ technological advancement mentioned by the presenters?




Since this is the presentation of the current research finding, there are no technology advancement mentioned during the presentation. Nonetheless, the presenter did stated the Framework used in her research. She mentioned about the 'Darcy and Henderson's' Framework for articulating instructional practices.  She used the framework to analyse the finding in which the framework included 10 sub-skills.


What would be the implications of the points in terms of teaching and learning in general and specific to your future teaching practices

In presenting her research findings, she concluded that teachers in Malaysia Secondary Schools still tend to use the Traditional Approach of teaching the science subject. The method of teaching are still teacher-centered with less participation from the students.
Looking at the finding from her current research, I can say that although teaching practices among science subject still following to the Traditional way, we as teachers should always be more creative and more engaging in our method of teaching.

That is all from me. Thank you for your time. Have a good day!!



Comments

  1. . The method of teaching are still teacher-centered with less participation from the students...True, I saw this when I observed a science education student class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir, I think it is quite challenging for Science's Subject teachers to implementing the Alternative approach in their teaching as compared to Language classes.

      Delete

Post a Comment